Sunday 20 April 2008 Old Atheist Friend Becomes Christian

Old Atheist Friend Becomes Christian
Oil via WikipediaI recently had the fissure to reconnect with an old college friend online. I lost merge with with him in the rear my Associate see having the status of he dropped out and inspired disallowed. That was roughly speaking 15 being ago. I tried to road him down diverse period out of the being but was reliably botched. But now, confidence to Social group.com, I found him. In the past neither of us were nosy in paying Social group.com to gift, we inspired to Facebook and view been success reacquainted near. To say our lives diverged at the summit we lost connections turned out to be a magnificent irony. But I was supercilious flabbergasted to learn that someone I knew as an plainspoken doubter in college had seeing that become a Christian.

In college, this guy was what I can lonesome information as an repugnant doubter. Not lonesome did he fasten joy in his non-belief, but he pleasant a person to know about it and initiated all sorts of arguments with our Christian colleagues. He was quick on his feet but indubitably no scholar. Anything really gave him an noble in these arguments was the yearn and ferociousness he might summon.

Of all the friends I've had out of the course of my life, I'd view to say that he was the one with whom I used up the greatest time discussing non-belief and anti-theism. He was a bit too belligerent for my judgment, but it was terrific to view someone to way in to about this stuff.

Take for granted my depart upon learning that he had become a Christian. Enthrallingly, he was not raised in any devoted religious tradition. His internal did not work a church or instill him in what on earth other than the generic standardize of American genial religion with which compound are adapted. In the manner of some realization, he realized the shortcomings of religion and embraced non-belief.

So what happened? Wedding (to a Christian woman), children, and some irksome life experiences propelled him to nestle hip Christian vernacular. He had read some doubter ram in college but had never really explored the other aspect. Next he did so, he found that it completed position to him. The summit is that he now says he accepts claims he cast-off to regard as useless superstitions.

From what I've been ingenious to disclose so far, he seems happy. I get the finger that he does not run considerably about religion anymore and focuses on his work and internal. If he's ecstatic, next I'm ecstatic for him. Untroubled, I'd be dishonest if I held I wasn't moderately good a muffled bit affront. This may appear selfish (and it may exceptionally be so), but I don't run I would market this way if I was not positively that religious belief is every futile and hurtful.

In any bomb, I am self-assured that I apparition get nonstop these feelings in no time and clear that we may once more be friends. I see no defense why his religious beliefs necessity attitude any standardize of barrier for me. As covet as he doesn't market the maneuver to disapproval me, I'm ecstatic to view the fissure to get reacquainted.

Subscribe to Agnostic Insurgence


Tags: doubter, friends, Christian, Facebook, non-belief Copyright (c) 2013 Agnostic Insurgence.