Friday 10 October 2008 The Original 7 An Old School Retrospective Preliminary Look

The Original 7 An Old School Retrospective Preliminary Look
I'm a sucker for challenges, so when Castelian from the Chivalry & Sorcery Blog challenged me to an Old School RPG review - thing-a-ma-wop, I couldn't say no. See, this is why Google+ is evil - it makes you do things you never expected to do.

The retrospective list is as follows:


Original Dungeons & Dragons Boxed Set (1974)- I have the Collector's Edition, so it is original, even if it is like the 6th printing of the boxed set.

Tunnels & Trolls (1975)- I have a reprint of the 1st edition, and I have the Trollgod's personal copy of the 2nd edition rules. Being that less that 100 copies of the 1st edition D&D rules were ever produced, I think I'm pretty well set between the two editions.

Empire of the Petal Throne (1975)- In this case I'm working off of a PDF of the 1st edition that predates the TSR edition. Yeah, I don't own an original.

Bunnies & Burrows (1976) - I found the first edition of this FGU game for 5 bucks on RPGNow. Now that's cheap for a piece of history, even if it is in PDF.

Chivalry & Sorcery (1977) - I picked up a beat up copy of the 2nd ed of C&S last winter on Ebay (this was my first experience with C&S). Castelian was nice enough to provide me with a PDF copy of the C)

RuneQuest (1978) - No, I don't have a copy of RQ1e, either in PDF or hard copy. I do, however, have a hardcover of the 2nd edition of RQ, although the dust jacket is long gone. So, with this, I'm kinda cheating. It's either that or leave it off the list.

I'll be looking at such wonderful things as production values, innovativeness, how much it derives from other (think OD)

I should have the first post up next week.



Reference: witch-selena.blogspot.com