Monday 16 July 2012 Karma And A Look At How It Works

Karma And A Look At How It Works
A mirror, representative of karma and how it operates

INTRODUCTION


Throughout the bulk of my life, I had believed that karma was an aspect of Universal Energy which distributed punishment for misdeeds or misjudgements we had made in our past. Lately though, a friend of mine made a remark that made me rethink my whole view on karma and how it all works...

Until recently, I believed that when we make judgemental errors in life, we are exposed to having our eyes opened by the lessons of karma. In simpler words, I believed that when we do things that are wrong by spirit, we proverbially 'get our hands slapped'. This hand-slapping was to be delivered to us in terms of karma.

It seemed that I had valid reason for thinking that karma worked in such a manner. You see, in my life, like so many people, I have made many mistakes. As I grew older, it became clear to me that the amount of misfortune I experienced, seemed to be in direct correlation with the volume of judgemental error made in recent past years.

The change in how I perceive karma to work is based upon a statement a friend of mine had made during casual conversation on this topic. I had made a comment about a relationship I was dealing with as being an issue of karmic retribution in action. I was telling her that I must have done something bad in the past, for things to have unfolded the way they did - of course I said this half jokingly.

My friend said that the relationship I described sounded to her, more like a case of cause and effect; she also said that this is how she views karma, as being a situation of cause and effect.

She suggested I take a closer look at my own actions. This was said without judgement. I felt that her comment deserved some serious thought. In the end I concluded that she had a very good point.

Now let's compare the two concepts and briefly examine how they work

FIRST THEORY IN ACTION (MY ORIGINAL THEORY ON HOW KARMA WORKS): A person makes an error in judgement, karma says 'you shouldn't do that'. Said person is given a suitable punishment, she serves it; karmic debt is then paid in full until next misjudgement.

SECOND THEORY IN ACTION (MY NEW THEORY ON HOW KARMA WORKS): A person makes an error in judgement. A Universal force known as karma, is not 'paying that person back for her misjudgement'; instead, her life is mirroring the misdeed back to her in terms of an equal and opposite reaction. This mirroring action is referred to as karma.

Obviously in the first case, it's believed we are punished for our misdeeds, that's the bottom line. In the second case scenario outlined above, karma is not some force which arbitrarily hands out punishments to wrongdoers. Instead, life is just sending people back the energies they invest into it. This, to me, makes much more sense. What it all comes down to is how we choose to see it.

What I am trying to say here is that I would much rather believe as I believe today - that if I take actions, I alone am responsible for the effects that those actions inflict upon my life - not some mysterious Universal force named karma.

Even when I held my previous viewpoint on karma I was very careful not to do wrong by others. Now it's even more so, as I feel absolutely 100% responsible for my life as a whole. When time comes we are made aware that life is going to mirror the effects of all choices made, both good and bad back at us; I think that's the time we begin the faster part of our ascension to become stronger in spirit.

Blessings to you in your moment of reflection


All content copyrighted to Jude's Metaphysical World and the Webmaster ther; 2011 and forth.