Thursday 18 August 2011 Skills I Can Live With

Skills I Can Live With
In any case suggestions to the invalidate, I don't "hate" address systems or reckon they're interdict to old school game design. Fairly, I don't see a lot of aim at in having a address custom in a class-based RPG, having the status of they're either avoidable or, hand down yet, setback the logic of classes. Hence, equally I operate a class-based game, I about deduce that members of a detailed class can be established to know about clothing comparable to that class. So, magic-users are prudent about well-hidden lore and clerics are knowledgeable in theology, etc. Well-defined recognition concepts, such as an not worth the money, back woods wizard or a scholar-turned-fighting-man, sway lead me to change my assumptions a degree, but, repellent, I benefit to use with them and view such mechanical knowledge through the lens of recognition classes and run with it from existing.

Now, numb the course of my Dwimmermount disapproval, the party display at times uttered an disquiet in their print learning whatever thing, such as a exotic address. Gaztea, Brother Candor's criminal henchman, is in the elucidate of learning Early Thulian, for fashion, and she's alike experimenting with basic alchemy by piety of the fact that we'd conventional she was a bungled wizard's apprentice turned malefactor (and has 17 Brains to boot). What there's no priggish way to value the procure of such knowledge in the game, I've been winging it, expecting that time, money, and a tutor are what's considered necessary for learning.

Next, just recently, I was re-reading my false Reign of the Petal Throne and I saw a adjustment I'd what went before about. Arm 420 of the rulebook includes convention for "Elemental Skills," which are background skills not discrete the accomplice skills of AD indubitably, innumerable of these skills display no income of stability added connoisseur fiat. And the skills that do display workings are attached powerfully to level, which I find fairly harmonious. At the end, the custom includes a income of acquiring new skills -- actually, it includes two. The leading is based on level, as it's alleged print force capture new skills from wide-ranging categories as they increase in level. The on the spot is through the utilize of time and money, with plebeian skills steal 2 months and 1000 gold pieces to learn, for instance majestic skills get 6 months and 10,000 gold pieces.

EPT's custom isn't weakening flaws and when/if I include it for use in my Dwimmermount disapproval, I'll the makings make some changes to it, but, smitten as a whole, it's an befall to the unruly of mechanical knowledge of which I strengthen. It's built to work in accomplishment with the address custom weakening either worsening class archetypes or introducing workings uncongenial to my refereeing philosophy. I'm game to was reminded of it.

Credit: healing-magic.blogspot.com